Re: Suggest route from South Dakota to Montana

On 3/23/04 10:02 AM, John Laughter wrote:
> I am taking a trip from North Carolina to the Yellowstone Park in late
> August.  Because of time constraints, I will trailer my bike to about Rapid
> City.  Will some of you experienced travelers give me suggested routes and
> "must do" rides? I'll have about five days of riding and would like to ride
> about 300 to 350 miles per day.

You could do a day around Rapid City and the Black Hills. Spearfish
Canyon Road (US 14A south of Spearfish), Needles Hwy (SR 87) near
Custer, US 16A from Custer to Keystone are some highlights.

Then heading west, Devils Tower, US 14 and US 14A whenever they split
off the interstate. US 310 north to US 212, then south. (There might be
a shortcut between the two, but I don't know what's paved). Beartooth
Pass on US 212 south of Red Lodge - outstanding. WY 296 south of 212
toward Cody - outstanding. Then from Cody into Yellowstone. That's about
715 miles, a good 2 day ride.

- --
David E.B. Smith * Chicago IL 393 455 * BMWMOA BMWRA IBA AMA ABATE
1997 R1100RT Sine(us) Blue "No name" * Illinois IBMWR plate * 01, 03 IBR
1999 F650 Black (hers - no, really)
1999 Subaru Forester S "also a Boxer"
http://www.davidebsmith.org