Re: Oil Change

On Apr 8, 2004, at 15:47, Bob MacFarland wrote:

> I don't usually chime in on things like this, but I feel compelled to
> say that I have known a lot of guys who for reasons unknown don't
> believe the torque specs designated by the engineers who designed the
> bike, or have somehow determined that some other torque spec is
> "better" than what the factory specifies. To each his own, I say, but
> deviating from the factory torque specs is, in my personal opinion, an
> extremely risky practice. No offense, Tom, I'm glad you've had good
> luck with your decision, but no way in hell am I going to follow your
> lead on this.
>
> Bob

I do not torque to their specs because I do not want to strip any
threads. A lot of the values they use for bolts and drain plugs are too
tight and I am the one who will have to pay to have stripped threads
repaired, not some over-zealous engineer with a lawyer looking over his
shoulder. Now for bolts that secure the front or rear tire, I follow
the manual.

Robert

04 Yamaha FZ6