RE: Ohlins shocks ... nightmare!

> <<<  As I recall, the remote adjuster is the issue for why
> you need to compress the spring to get things out of the way. >>>
>
> 	It would seem the "lesser" shock sans remote pre-load
> adjuster would have been better for me.
>
> <<< If you turned three turns on the preload, and it didn't
> make a major change for you, I think the spring is too soft.
> Maybe it has lost its' tension (thus is defective), >>>
>
> 	Just my luck!

If it is defective, Ohlins should stand behind it.  Although the may be less
willing to help when they see you beat on the adjuster ring with a punch...

> <<<  or maybe it was selected wrong to begin with.  But then
> you would have had this sag complaint from day one. >>>
>
> 	Yeah and I really did measure everything when I got it
> on the bike!
>
> <<< My bro takes issue with the rear spring for a slightly
> different reason.  If he sets it up for one up, with the
> preload knob all the way loose, he does not get enough boost
> via the knob for two up riding. >>>
>
> 	The damn remote is useless.

No the remote works well if you have the proper spring installed.  If the spring
rate is too low then the remote doesn't have enough adjustment range to properly
set the sag.  You could move the adjuster as you were trying to do, but you're
sacrificing travel to compensate for a too soft spring.

> <<< This is s spring rate issue, not preload, but I do feel
> that the adjusting knob system is of limited value as it is
> sold on this shock. >>>
>
> 	I'm still thinking is waste. Now I'm also wondering
> what you mean about spring rate ... I guess this is another
> compromise for performance?

No, this is a failure by the shock seller.  One of the advantages of aftermarket
shocks is the ability to order the proper spring rate for your riding weight and
style, rather than accept the one size fits all spring that is stock.  The
counter is that it is possible to buy a shock with a worse spring rate for your
weight than the stock.