Re: R1100SA 2-plug top speed disappointment

Hello Jack,

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Bunce" <jackbunce@xxxxxxx>

[snip]
> > 118 mph (slimmed down) is [way] off where you should be, assuming all is
> > in
> > order. Tuning is a big consideration. Decades ago when I had a CB360,
> > it
> > would do an indicated 93 mph (crouched) if it was tuned perfectly. As
> > the
> > points wore and the timing ran out of adjustment, top speed would dip
> > into
> > the mid to upper 80s. My current bike does an indicated 240 kph (149
> > mph).
> > >SNIP
>
> OK,  air and gasoline filters, valves and plugs are replaceable or
> adjustable. But isn't the timing computer controlled and therefore
> unadjustable by mere mortals.

Yup, the Oilheads use the Motronic to control the fuel injection and timing.
I was just illustrating how tuning can make a big difference. BTW, a
mechanic can advance or retard the timing. I'm assuming that the timing is
set to stock value. You may want to confirm that too.

- -Steve
 2000 R1100S/ABS, Mandarin
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada