Re: Metzler Tire Question

>Wayne:
>
>The wear on your front tire is typical, but a bit premature.   A lot of
>front wheel braking will make the problem worse.  The road crown theory is
>probably accurate.   This tire can go a lot more miles like this.  It just
>depends on how the bike is handling for you.   If it's OK.  It's OK.

6K is a widely available piece of data.  I have heard of lots of
people getting this from Z4's in the IBMWR list.  I do tend to brake
more with the front since I wore the rear brakes out in 4,400 miles.
Interesting datapoint considering I the first time I replaced the rear
brakes on my R80ST at 32K!!  Oh yea, on the ST, I never replaced a
tire due to wear.  I replaced them because the sidewalls were
dryrotted!!  I rode the same roads for years on the ST and never had
this wear pattern.  I'm told it is a combination of bike weight and
road conditions.  I can believe the weight to some degree.

>Experience tells me to change tires when the bike is no fun to ride anymore
>(Rear MeZ4 squared off is really the only time this has happened for me.)
>or when tire has less tread than will last for an upcoming long trip.   New
>tires generally resist puncture better than old thin ones.  Any tire resists
>puncture better than a rear MeZ4...at least for me.  I replace 2 newish ones
>for punctures.   I know others with worse "luck" than mine.

I will not pass state inspection (due July) with the current tire.

>The Z6 is a much better tire.  I was pretty sour on Metzler until it came
>out.

I'm looking forward to trying one week after next.  I hope they last a
bit longer.

Wayne Woodruff
http://www.jtan.com/~wayne
Chalfont, PA