Re: Tire Changing questions

Paige,
It's a pity I threw away my calcs when I was trueing up the 20mm shaft that
I use but, in the interests of science here goes:

Assume the shaft has 0.04 mm "runout" at it's midpoint.
Assume wheel and tire around 15kg.

The "assembly" would have a moment of:

15 x 9.8 x 0.04/1000 = 0.00588 Nm

Just to balance the above at 18"/2 or 229 mm (0.229 m):

0.00588/0.229 = 0.0256 N
or a mass of say 0.00261 kg ( ie some 2 to 3 grams).

Now this would either add or subtract from the actual out of balance
measured (or, with luck, be neutral).  Thus a tire needing typically 8 g
could get 11 or 5, and that is for a runout of only 0.04 mm or 1/1000".

My previous statement then, admittedly quoted from memory, was fairly "on
the money" I think...

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.