Re: Master Cylinder Leak

Clive Liddell writes:

>Tony,
>I just feel that we should have the option to simply replace a couple of
>worn brake seals in the master cylinder if we so desire.  In days gone by
>these "seals" cost cents rather than the $$ that motobins in the UK is
>charging even for their "repair" kit.  I won't even mention the only
>official option BMW offers for $$$.  Also much more labour intensive to
>replace the whole m/cyl than just a couple of seals...
>
>It seems to be the way that we are being forced to think by lawyers and
>others for certain safety parts or it may be a German TUV? (IIRC) thing.
>However, on my manual transmission M-B, while I think it was possible to get
>seals for the clutch slave cylinder the complete replacement unit was
>cheaper - that was their way of making it an easy choice.

I would heartily agree.  The notion that a rebuild (replacement of
seals) isn't a "permanent" fix is off base, to put it mildly.  Along
that vein, one could say that you should replace the forks if you
blow a fork seal, or an entire wheel if a bearing goes out.

*Why* BMW doesn't offer the seals is beyond me.

Waiting for it to happen...
- --
____________________________________
Don MacQueen, Shelby NC