Cracked System Bag Hook

Tony,

Let me tell you a story.  I have had a similar experience with a cracked
system bag hook on the right hand bag on my previous ride, a red '98
R1100RS.  My wife and I were heading up to Cape Breton Island, with
loaded bags and a loaded Jo's U-Pac.  We were tearing up I95 in Maine,
and then moseying (sp?) along the water on 1A when we decided to stop at
York Beach for coffee and pie at about 4:30 pm.  When we got back to the
bike something looked odd - indeed it was, the right hand bag was
missing!  This was the bag with my wife's clothes, medications, etc.
Damn - we would have to go home!

Then it dawned on me that we might as well re-trace our route ( thank
you Garmin :) ) and look for the bag.  What the hell - we had nothing to
lose.  We first stopped at a state police precinct and inquired if
someone had reported finding a motorcycle bag.  Of course, we were
looked at as if we were completely insane.  So, we headed back along the
breadcrumbs of our route - figuring we had to head home anyway!  Well,
the unbelieveable did happen - 30 miles later, cruising relatively
slowly on I95 we saw the bag on the very large grassy median, pulled
over, got the bag, secured it to the bike, and spent the night in
Freeport, Maine.  The next morning, it was down to the rather local BMW
dealer who sold us a right hand bag off a floor model R1100RT.  And,
greatly relieved and even ecstatic to pay the full list price, we
continued on our vacation :)

- --
Regards,

Barry ('04 R1150RT)