Re: Cracked System Bag Hook

Barry P. Blank, Ph.D. wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Let me tell you a story.  I have had a similar experience with a
> cracked system bag hook on the right hand bag on my previous ride, a
> red '98 R1100RS.  My wife and I were heading up to Cape Breton Island,
> with loaded bags and a loaded Jo's U-Pac.  We were tearing up I95 in
> Maine, and then moseying (sp?) along the water on 1A when we decided
> to stop at York Beach for coffee and pie at about 4:30 pm.  When we
> got back to the bike something looked odd - indeed it was, the right
> hand bag was missing!  This was the bag with my wife's clothes,
> medications, etc. Damn - we would have to go home!
>
> Then it dawned on me that we might as well re-trace our route ( thank
> you Garmin :) ) and look for the bag.  What the hell - we had nothing
> to lose.  We first stopped at a state police precinct and inquired if
> someone had reported finding a motorcycle bag.  Of course, we were
> looked at as if we were completely insane.  So, we headed back along
> the breadcrumbs of our route - figuring we had to head home anyway!
> Well, the unbelieveable did happen - 30 miles later, cruising
> relatively slowly on I95 we saw the bag on the very large grassy
> median, pulled over, got the bag, secured it to the bike, and spent
> the night in Freeport, Maine.  The next morning, it was down to the
> rather local BMW dealer who sold us a right hand bag off a floor model
> R1100RT.  And, greatly relieved and even ecstatic to pay the full list
> price, we continued on our vacation :)

I broke two hooks on system cases when I had a 1996 R1100RS. Couldn't
figure out what was going on until much time had passed. Turned out I
was running the shock preload too soft and upon extreme compression
(hitting a big bump when loaded heavily) the side of the final drive
housing was striking the inside of the bag and causing the break. You
could actually see a very slight discoloration in the form of a vertical
stripe on the final drive casing where it was rubbing against the inside
of the system case. I cranked up the preload some and the problem was
solved!

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun