RE: More beta RS blather..

John Van Deren wrote:
> There was no way to compare serial numbers.  I guess the numbering
> system in Canada is very different from the US.

VIN numbers generally use the same sequence of last 6 digits, regardless
of destination country.  The rest of the characters signify equipment,
model year, country and mfg., etc.  Digit 10 gives the model year, so my
R_310977 is number 310977 of the 94 model run.  I doubt they built over
300K RS units that year, so I suspect they started at 300001.

The parts fiche seems to specify changes by production date rather than
VIN.  For instance, the valves appear to have changed in 10/95, which
would imply that lots more of us have the big valves than has been
presumed.  You can't always trust the fiche on this stuff, though.

> However, his bike also has a March '93 build date...pretty early
> for an RS. Does anyone know what the first month of RS production
> was?

The fiche lets you select a manuf. date in '92 if you want, but those
may be pre-prod or Germany-only or maybe they don't exist at all.
Anyone have an N ('92) or P ('93) code for model year?

Eric