Re: Retorquing heads etc.

Here is a tale of woe which is somewhat related.  I noticed what seemed
like a slight leak at the front of the left cylinder head gasket on my '95
R1100R.  So, I decided to first check that the head was torqued
appropriately.  I backed out the first nut, then tightened it back to
15 lbft - then I started to apply the extra 180 degrees of tightening.
When I got to around 90 degrees there was a "bang" and the wrench spun.
This did not please me.  Now I find that while the stud is not totally
loose (as though it were snapped), if I try to continue tightening the nut
at all it seems to be pull the stud out.  I've tried putting a locknut on
and unscrewing the stud (I hoped that I could just back it out and replace
it) but it doesn't want to budge.  I've removed the head now, and found
that there was pressure loss from the gasket - I can see where it was
blowing by the gasket.  So, I figure it's a good thing that I disassembled
further so I can replace the gasket.

Now, not having seen how the stud is attached to the crankcase, I can't
really tell just how screwed I am.  Can anyone with more experience offer
input here?  What have I done and what are my options?  :(