RE: Using 60-profile front tire on R1100R

The PO of my RS did in fact bend a rim when he was using a non-recommended tire size.  I wouldn't chance it.

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-oilheads@xxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Bob MacFarland
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:21 AM
To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Using 60-profile front tire on R1100R

Chien-Liang Fok wrote:

>Presidents,
>
>I have a '95 r1100r that currently has a Metzler Z4 120/70-17 front tire.
>I'm thinking about replacing it with a Metzler Z4 120/60-17.  Has anybody
>ever done this before?  Does a lower profile change the handling
>significantly?  The rear tire will remain 160/60-18 Z4s.

The main thing to be concerned about, IMHO, is the loss of a little
cushioning that the higher aspect ratio tire provides. That cushioning
may help prevent a bent rim if you ride on bad roads.

- --
Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun