Re: V-Rod

On Oct 16, 2004, at 7:11 AM, Tom Brown wrote:

> Robert and Others:
>
> All this "tragic V-Rod" talk reminds me of another engine I love in
> need of a good, comfortable bike.   The Aprilia/Rotax 60 degree, dry
> sump V-twin.. Although the Mille is comfortable for a race rep bike,
> it's really not comfortable for sport touring.   I've done a few
> weekends with it.  Storage is a real problem.  I have to stuff
> everything in a double height tank bag and in the compartment under
> the back seat.  Not much room at all.   I bought a Corbin for it.
> They're not my favorite seat, but there's was the only one available.
>  I recently put some adjustable bars on it.   These helped a little,
> but a lot less than I hoped.

What about a tailbag for the back portion of the seat? Or were you
riding two-up? For clothes, all I carry when I am on a trip is
underwear shirts and only one pair of pants and my rain suit.

With the addition of a Givi topcase, I can two-up tour in comfort.

> The Futura is supposed to answer the call for a sport touring Mille,
> but it really doesn't hit the mark.  It looks goofy and is plagued
> with electrical gremlins.   My test ride of that found less wind
> protection than I'd liike and truly boring handling and a very tamed
> down engine...different FI and exhaust.   During my whole demo ride,
> there was a warning light of some kind showing and the dealer had no
> idea how to fix this short of cutting a wire or pulling a bulb.   No
> clue as to the root cause of this problem.

You need to find a different Aprilia dealer, one who knows how to set a
bike up. My futura test ride had no electricla gremlins, no unknown
dash lights. "cutting a wire"? This guy sounds like a hack! The wind
protection for me was fine. I have come to be a "less is more" kind of
bike owner.

Yes I too was spoiled by the aeroflow screen on my R11RS, but, I have
grown to love the 3/4 fairing  on my FZ6, although I may add a 4"
taller screen for winter time riding.

> The Mille engine is So Fine.   It has a marvelous sound, goes like
> stink and has twin balance shafts that really kill vibrations.   It's
> just such a fun bike.   All it needs is telelever, paralever, upright
> seating position, storage, a bigger powered windscreen......In short,
> BMW ergos.
>

> Ducati's ST series is pretty good, but again, the frame geometry is
> really conservative and it doesn't really supply all the virtues of a
> BMW.   I owned an ST4 and didn't think it was much more comfortable
> than my Mille, which is easily twice the fun.

So we can summarize that you are not comfortable riding a
SPORTS-touring bike. You like to be isolated from the elements. Others
may be different. I know I am.

Robert

04 Yamaha FZ6
http://moto.cv4.org