Oil Temp Question

Bob:

I rode a '99 RT for over 60K miles.  The temp gage normally runs at 5 bars.
6 is OK.  4 bars is possible in very cold weather.  In summer, I've had it
one bar from the red zone for most of the day with no ill effects.   This
was extreme weather.   If it goes into the red, you have to shut it off, but
otherwise, just run it.

If I'm sitting still in traffic, like waiting for a train, I usually shut
the thing off.  Saves gas, lowers vibration and provides peace and
tranquility while single-handedly saving the planet.

The old '96 bikes had a very heavy and complex thermostat setup that didn't
work as well.   The late 97 through 2000 bikes are pretty good at keeping
cool.   I have heard that the oil lines can coke up if a lot of high speed
idleing is done with them.  I went to synthetic after break-in (12K miles)
for that reason.   Never had any overheating problems.

- -TB