ABS

A few weeks ago I wrote that after going 30 miles and taking a 45
minute lunch break, the ABS wouldn't kick in.  The lights kept
flashing, even after shutting down the ignition and a few more breaks.

So today I made the last run to fill up the tank for winter.  The
battery was fully charged, and for the ride to the gas station the
lights stayed on.  However, after the fill-up, the ABS clicked in again
and I rode home with the lights off.

Anyone have an explanation for that phenomenon?

Chuck
'98 R1000GS