  From: Tom Brown
  To: BMW Oilhead List
  Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 5:19 AM
  Subject: Happy Thanksgiving

  marc:

  Too much coffee and desert after dinner last night has me writing to the
  list at 4AM.

  I've been to your area and it's pretty wonderful riding.

  I have the distinct pleasure of living in Chicago, the metropolotin
  mega-center of the great plains.   It's a nice place to live, but one has to
  be creative to make fun riding happen.    Around here, a flat road is a good
  road.  Cheaper to build, fewer accidents, able to handle the occasional
  combine or tractor with many plows.  We're a practical lot here in the
  midwest.

  Well, most of us anyway.   I'm heading out with 4 friends to Deal's Gap this
  morning.  We'll meet for breakfast and be out riding by 9AM..  It's a little
  over 700 miles to Knoxville from here.  Weather is supposed to be totally
  miserable until Sunday.   We may decide to change our route and go to New
  Orleans instead.  That would be a first for us.   Weather is supposed to be
  slightly better there.    I'm checking weather channel now.

  Equipment list:

  '04 RT

  Oversized winshield....+4" width, +4 or 5" height...can't remember... It's
  big.

  Extra electrical outlets for aerostitch heated liner and Gerbings heated
  gloves.

  Heated grips...stock on RT

  Extra gloves...3 finger Aerostich, summer gloves, Olympia leather winter
  gloves etc.

  Thin longies

  Heavy polypropylene longies

  2 pairs in-between longies.

  Leather pants with fresh leather treatment,   Waterproof overpants in system
  case.

  Aerostich Darien w/ two long sleeve layers under above mentioned electric
  windstopper full liner.

  Glove collection, first aid and maps and rags stay in top case.   Clothes,
  rain gear etc. in side cases along with a quart of oil, portable compressor
  in plastic bag with case removed, some extra tools etc.

  I'm using Metzler Z6 for this trip.  I think they'll be very good.   Hope we
  don't hit a lot of snow, though.   Our stratagy is to excercize the credit
  card at a motel with a bar if the weather gets truly nasty...adds to the
  uncertainty...We love this aspect.   This is our 4th year of doing this.  So
  far, we've been able to change our route to avoid bad storms.   This year
  may be a bit more of a challenge.   I'm checking Weather Channel now.

  Catch you after our return.

  -TB