R1200RT not as ugly in person

For those of you who went "Yuck" when you saw pictures of the new 2005
R1200RT, I suggest you see it in person. I saw an example last Friday at the
Toronto motorcycle show, and the bike looks less unattractive (in my view)
in person than it does in photos. The front end still looks like an assembly
of bolted-on pieces, but it may be okay enough for those who were totally
offed by the pictures. I much prefer the styling of the current RT. Honda's
ST1300 looked downright gorgeous.

The K1200S is also something you need to see in person. The ergonomics feel
really good for a Hayabusa-class bike. Expandable (but not water-proof) bags
are available as an option. The one styling faux pas is the ginormous
cat/muffler canister, which reminds me of the cannon hanging off the side of
Yamaha's Road Warrior. I anticipate an after-market supplier will clean that
up.

- -Steve Makohin
 2001 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada