was: R1200RT not ... Now: R1200GS

Bob Hadden wrote:

> Thanks for the tips Bob.  I'll post about any bar changes I make.  I'm
> not having trouble with the shift lever, but my brother tried the bike
> yesterday and had issues.

I like to have my hand levers adjusted so that with my hands resting on
the handlebars, my wrist do not have to bend to be on the levers. I find
this makes covering the controls less taxing.

There is a threaded adjuster for the shifter, but it is kind of in back
of some frame member IIRC, so you would miss it if you're not looking
carefully.

> Am planning on putting on lights over the winter.  Will either use the
> best rest light bar or fab something with a friend.  Will post on this
> also after it is completed.

I just put some Hella FF50s on mine. Cabela's has them for $39.95, which is pretty darn cheap for lights like that. They use the same H7 bulb as the bike and their shape complements the "squashed oval" motif of the headlights. (watch the wrap on the link) http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml;jsessionid=OYTFXZADT1UIBTQSNOECCOWOCJVYWIWE?id=0027887521564a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&_requestid=38915

I made up my own brackets out of hardware store aluminum stock sprayed black. Total cost $10.00.

Simply stated, I made two L shaped pieces out of 3/4 x 1/8 stock (one for each side of the bike) and used u-bolts to fasten the long ends of the Ls to the subframe below the turnsignals (two holes drilled in each L upright for the u-bolt). The short ends point out 90 degrees, in line with, and below the turnsignals. Then, I used a single long piece of 3/4 x 3/32(?)(this was an angle piece for strength) to run under the full width including the length of the short ends of the Ls. Holes were drilled to accommodate the mounting studs of the lamps, and the lamp studs serve to hold it all together.

I mounted an illuminated waterproof switch to the inside of the left handguard such that if I stick my index finger way out and in toward the bike centerline a little bit, it rests on top of the switch.

The relay was mounted to the subframe inside the left of the cowling under the little black snap-in part. Wires were covered with that flexible poly tubing that you get at an auto parts store and cable tied in place. The relay's sensor wire was spliced into the positive lead to the accessory socket.

I will put some pics online and post the url once I have finished the roll and have scans.

Bob
     Eventual Master of the Obvious
  R1200GS CB750F DoD EMOTO BMWMOA SOHC4
Proud walking jingle in the midnight sun