RE: Longevity etc.

Just to add another data point here.  I have a 1999 RT with 60k miles and a
1995 CBR600F3 with 70k miles.  The F3 has left me on the side of the once
with a regulator/rectifier burnout that was mostly my fault for overtaxing
the electrical system. The cam chain tensioner has been replaced several
times with OEM under warranty and once with a manual version out of
warranty.  It never failed just got noisy.  No other significant repairs.

The RT has left me on the side of the road once when the throw out bearing
disintegrated last week when I was 200 miles away from home.  Took 4 days to
repair.  Last year, second gear died when I was 3000 miles from home.  I
could ride it, but it was a pain.  Had to have the transmission rebuilt not
under warranty.  Various seals have been replaced all under warranty. Oh,
and the ABS hasn't worked right for the last year.  I keep getting hard
faults that I clear, but come right back.  The whole reason I bought this
bike was to get a touring bike with ABS.  Those criteria severely narrowed
my choices to the ST1100 (at the time) and the RT.  The St was too tall for
us vertically challenged folks.

I'm planning two long trips next year on the RT and I'm wondering what I can
do to prevent getting stuck out in BFE with yet another significant
breakdown.  I know I'm going to replace the alternator belt before I go
along with regular fluid changes, but I'm now officially worried about the
reliability of this bike.

These days, when I think about reliability, Honda is the name that comes to
mind.

Any suggestions welcomed.
LindaT.
www.CustomTankBags.com