Re: valves adjustments

At 12:34 PM -0800 12/28/04, Marco S Hyman wrote:
>Anyway, I spent about 30-45 minutes per side getting each pair of
>valves as close to matching as my fingers can feel. I then rode
>the bike a bit to help warm it up. Back in the driveway I hooked
>a twin-max to the throttle bodies and let the bike idle a few minutes
>until 5 bars showed on the temp guage.  Some minor adjustments to the
>air bypass screws got the idle balanced at the appropriate RPM.
>The balance held at RPM; no further adjustments were needed.

I think that's the key - you took the extra effort to get the valves
on each side to match each other. It's okay if they were off from
spec a very small amount as long as they were off by the same amount,
in the same direction.

It may be that your mechanic (SF BMW? CalMoto?) got each valve within
some tolerance and let it go at that. Pretty close to balanced but
not as close as possible. Did you use four feeler gauges at a time
(as per OVAD)? Did you also check for rocker arm end play?

- --
- - andrew, Berkeley, '00 R1150GS, '06 Diesel KLR
- - "Moto per Mangiare, Mangiare per Moto"