Re: valves adjustments

 > I think that's the key - you took the extra effort to get the valves
 > on each side to match each other. It's okay if they were off from
 > spec a very small amount as long as they were off by the same amount,
 > in the same direction.

Yep.  My goal was the same feel for each pair.

 > It may be that your mechanic (SF BMW? CalMoto?) got each valve within
 > some tolerance and let it go at that. Pretty close to balanced but

That's what I suspect, otherwise I don't think I'd have noticed a
difference.  Or maybe I wouldn't have noticed a difference had I done
this 100 miles after the last service instead of 1200 --- I don't have
a feel for how fast things change on this bike.   I never really
notice changes over a service period, but it always runs better after
a service!

 > not as close as possible. Did you use four feeler gauges at a time
 > (as per OVAD)? Did you also check for rocker arm end play?

Yes I used 4 feelers, no I didn't check for rocker arm end play.  I
didn't notice any, but wasn't explicitly looking, either.

// marc