Re: valve adjustment

No need to remove the tupperware on a R1100RT to do valve adjustment.

Just get yourself a long-handled screwdriver and a magic marker of some
sort. Remove spark plugs as per usual and turn engine using the back wheel
after placing transmission into 5th. Slowly turn the engine, keeping the
screwdriver gently inserted into the spark plug hole. When the screwdriver
has reached it's maximum distance into the engine, that is when one cylinder
is at bottom dead centre (or top dead centre - can't remember which). Mark
the screwdriver with the marker where it exits from the engine and you now
know when one cylinder is at the proper position for a valve adjustment.
Again, can't remember (advancing old age) which cylinder is ready for valve
adjustment when that measurement is reached, but it's obvious anyways.
Repeat for other cylinder.

You might want to do this the first time with the fairing off so you can
confirm the cylinder position using the timing hole. I don't know about the
throttle bodies as I have my dealer do this.

I take no credit for this method - learned it here or on the big list. It
has saved me tons of time and much beer. Not only is taking the fairing off
a pain in the butt, but replacing the timing hole cover without shoving it
into the engine can cause much frustration.

Kevin Kerr
1998 R1100RT
Rolling Broccoli Rider
Ottawa, ON Canada