Re: valves adjustments

Marc,
>From what you have said, it certainly sounds as though you have the knowledge
and ability to do routine maintenance on your RT, but are intimidated by the
task of removing the body work. As one who has faced a similar situation, I
can only encourage you to bite the bullet and get used to pulling the
tupperware. It's really not that bad, especially when one considers the cost savings as
well as the piece of mind of knowing that the job has been done with precision
and care.
When faced with the full coverage body work on a previously owned K1200LT and
the prospect of $6-700 tune-up bills, I chose to do my own routine
maintenance service and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It also helps to be familiar
enough with a bike that I can do enough trouble shooting to know if a problem
is within or beyond my capability to get is running correctly again.
There are three well written articles on maintenance of the Oilhead which I
urge you to find, download and print:
Oilhead Valve Adjustments for Dummies
Throttle Body Synching for Dummies
Oilhead Rocker End Play Adjustment for Dummies
These can be found on the ADVrider List or by doing a Google search for the
above referenced titles.
Happy wrenching,
Gary Prickett
Mission Viejo, CA