Re: Ideas?? Quit in rain.

In a message dated 1/2/05 6:36:46 PM Eastern  Standard Time,
redlegduke@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
<<I am looking for  troubleshooting ideas.  This morning, my 1996 R1100RT
(50k
miles and  running great) just quit 14 miles after startup while running in
moderately  strong rain.  It missed for a second, the tachometer gave a wild
swing  or two, and then the motor quit.  I coasted to the side of I-30 and
fiddled with (jiggled) the kill switch, and side stand just for teh heck of
it.  Thee engine will motor over just as normal with the starter, RID  works,
lights work, I can hear the fuel pump just as normal, ABS lights  normal -
but the damn thing will not start there on the side of the  road.  I push it
for ten minutes to a tire shop with an awning, pull  the seat to check for
anything obvious, fuses all good, battery connections  tight, no burnt smell,
nothing obvious.  After about an hour, it  started for one second then died,
I trucked it home, then after four hours  it started for one second then
died.  I've got it on the Battery Tender  now.

Any ideas?  Yes, I too suspect water in something, but  specifically where?
I've ridden this bike for hours in rain with not  the slightest problem.  I
have tools and much mechanical experience BFI  i.e. Before Fuel Injection.>>

Sounds like the  Hall Trigger connection has failed, or one of the triggers
tnhemselves have  failed. There is a VERY complete article on testing ,
troubleshooting and  repairing this problem written by Dana Hager at
http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/oilhead_hall_sensors.pdf

You will need Adobe Acrobat to open the file. I strongly recommend
downloading  and printing  out the document, as it is your  problem.

In a nutshell, the triggers are probably  good, but the insulation on the
wires coinnecting them is probably deteriorated  enough to allow moisture to
short the signal impulse to ground.

Tom  Cutter