Intermittent hand warmers

My throttle hand warmer frequently will not work; clutch hand warmer works
fine.  Does not make a difference if it is wet or dry.  Any suggestions on
where to look for the problem?

Bike is an 02 R1150RA with a little over 15,000 miles on it. It has never
been crashed nor has the throttle handlebar ever smashed against anything.
I have put GS hand guards on it but these do not pinch the wires in any
place.

I have a CD manual for the bike, but it does not have a wiring diagram or a
trouble shooting guide for the heated grips.

Another question:  Is the heating element integral to the hand grips or can
the hand grips be replaced separately?

Pete
In Atlanta where the hand warmers have not been needed lately.