RE: R1100GS Master Cylinder

Paul,
I have a 97R1100RS with low miles.  I change the brake fluid every year with
BMW fluid.  My master cylinder decided to leak onto the paint which cut my
Sunday ride short and ruined my day.  Luckily, I saw it before any damage
was done.  Swapping the master cylinder was a fairly easy job except for
removing & reinstalling the heated grip wire.  When I disassembled the old
unit, out of curiosity, I found the same corrosion.  That corrosion can
score the bore, damage the seals, and lead to a leak.  Swap the master
cylinder and forget it.  Don't waste your time trying to repair the old one.
Tony
R1100RS
Mineola, NY