Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

At 12:32 AM -0500 1/18/05, Steve Makohin wrote:
>Ah, Grasshopper, you have touched upon *one* of the possibilities
>that lurk beyond the state of unconscious competency: Complacency.
>An example is the driver that is really good at driving, can do it
>without thinking, takes his skill for granted, and participates in a
>vehicular incident that he knows was easily preventable.

How many of us have woken from a deep, satisfying slumber, filled
with happy dreams, to realize that we are in fact at the controls of
a motorcycle speeding toward the engine compartment of a large diesel
bus?

If I take the exact same route too often, it becomes second-nature
and can induce such slumber. Even the terrors of lane-splitting
through evening traffic can be damped by idle thoughts of what awaits
at home, or at work.

- --
- - andrew, Berkeley, '00 R1150GS
- - "Moto per Mangiare, Mangiare per Moto"