Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Makohin" <wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <oilheads@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 7:42 AM
Subject: Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

> You have touched upon a second
> condition that can follow the state of becoming an Unconscious
Competent,

There you go off in that direction again. In life we tend to get
better to a point that allows us to function on a daily level.
We tend to stay at that level because it is what our daily
activities require.

Panic braking is typically not part of our daily activities. But
if you rode on a track every day, hard braking skills would be.
Depends on what you need.

Having said that , developing braking skills - in case - you need
them is a good thing. Ie if hard braking takes all your
concentration ie conscious competent, you will have less
processing power to deal with the situation than if hard braking
is something you can do without thinking too much about it.

> Experts in this field of study identify one more
> condition that may follow Unconscious Competency.

They don't have to be experts. Mothers do it every day as they
assess the skills of their growing children.
We are only talking of simple things here.

I wanna drive a stick shift car and think that it's easy.
     - I don't know that I don't know
I take my first lesson and keep stalling the car and lurching it.
     -I realize that I don't know and that there is a gap between
what I can do and what I need to do.
I develop some skill and manage to shift gears without stalling
or lurching. but need to concentrate to do it.
      - Conscious competency: I can do it but need to think about
it
I'm driving down the road, eating my burger and talking on the
phone while shifting gears
      - I can now do it without thinking about it.

I have reached fighter pilot status. <G>

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
CBR 929
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides