Re: ABS is good

Don,
Thanks for enlighten us about the origin of ABS on BMWs.  What I meant was that I whish I had the newer ABS, but I am sure you knew that.
Bob Silas

From: Don MacQueen origin
    ----- Original Message -----
  To: oilheads@xxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 10:25 PM
  Subject: re: ABS is good

  Ben wrote:

  >I also have a '94 with the long unlock time (first generation ABS)

  as did Bob Silas:

  >"I have a '94 RS with first generation ABS which has unlock time too long
  >>for my liking.  A few times I had the feeling that it does not let the
  >brakes work at their best.  I wish I had the second generation ABS system.
  >But I do want ABS.

  Well, you're both incorrect.  First generation ABS was on the '88-'89
  K100RS and following.  There may have been some 1A ABS on later Ks.
  The Oilhead ABS *is* in fact at the very LEAST BMWs second generation
  system, which was compared semi-unfavorably in the bike press to
  Yamaha and Honda's *first* generation systems due to...long cycle
  time.

  Of course there's the /6 ABS...the brakes weren't strong enough to
  lock up anyway...

  --
  Don MacQueen, Shelby NC