Re: Best Statement on this list so far...

From: "Bruno Valeri" <bvaleri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

[snip]
>... Skill is attained through practice. Some understanding to...
[snip]

It depends on how you define "skills". If your statement applies to the
skill of applying brakes on a motorcycle well enough to stop in most cases
without dumping it, then I agree with you. But if you refer to developing
braking skills to a "Brake God" degree, I am not aware of any proof that
supports your belief stated above. The statement above is a panacea, similar
to the phrase "change is good" (the truth is that *good* change is good;
change, in and of itself, is not necessarily good).

Bad habits do not typically lead to highly-developed braking skills, no
matter how much those bad habits are repeated through practice. This applies
even if the rider has "some understanding" too. On the other hand, having "a
LOT" of understanding, and also having excellent feedback to identify errors
and suboptimal planning/execution, and then practicing *that* until it
becomes a reflex action, is quite a different story.

It appears the best we can do is agree to disagree. I'm okay with that.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada