Re: oilheads-digest V2 #50

Ben:

I see you're at it again.

1.  Paper air filter has more flow than the airbox.    You must hack up the
air box to get more flow.   BMW made the air box to regulate flow.

2.  K&N already makes a filter for Oilheads.   I have one in my garage.   It
makes zero difference on my RT with stock airbox.   If you want to buy it,
I'll sell for $20 plus shipping.   It's been used, but not long.  No where
near needing cleaning yet.   According to the display in the dealership I
bought it from for over $50, there is a lot more flow available with this
filter.   About 4 times the paper one.

3.  The issue with the surging is that the bike runs too rich for the oxygen
sensor at certain speeds.  When the sensor trips, it forces the lean fuel
curve that causes the surging.   Motronic kicks in and out of this alternate
lean curve at certain RPMs.

4.  With the Techlusion in Control Mode, you've got the Motronic stuck on a
lean fuel curve and you add fuel yourself by extending the "open" signal on
the injectors, so by messing with the air box and the Techlusion, you may
get some good results.  Mileage will most likely suffer a bit, but you'll be
able to pull wheelies without using the clutch probably.   I've heard of
this being done and I think there's some info on the Techlusion website
about it.   Check it out.

5.  What you should be asking for on the list is a spare airbox for an S in
case your surgery goes wrong.

6.  Bear in mind that what most BMW riders want is rideability, reliability
and long distance capability.   An aftermarket or home made filter with an
airbox that might let rain enter the intake system is not attractive to most
of these people.   If you are harboring visions of making money with the
fruits of this project, well, I think your chances are pretty slim.   Wrong
market for this.   BMW hot rodders are few and far between.

Eliminating surge is something Oilhead riders want to do, however.   That's
why double plugging and Techlusion boxes have been successful.

- -TB