Re: New Bike

Hello Tom,

From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxx>
[snip]
>>I thought the ST looked pretty good, with the exception of that headlight.
>> Hideous in my opinion. Looked like some crystal on steroids.
>
> Haven't seen one in the flesh, but I rather like the photos.   The 1100S
> looked pretty radical with the off-center uneven headlights, but I think
> it's
> one of the best looking bikes you can buy now.   Just beautiful.
> Unfortunately, there are too many things that aggrevate me on that bike.
> The
> high exhaust pipe cramping the left sidecase is just one...

When you write of the "high exhaust pipe cramping the left sidecase", I
assume you're talking about the ST and not the S. The under-tail exhaust
occupying zero bag space was one of the attractors in an R1100S for me.

FWIW, I encourage you to visit an ST in the flesh. I thought the pictures in
magazines depicted it as ugly from all angles. In the flesh, it looks pretty
good except for the nose. The headlight and windscreen design look like the
work of a first-year industrial design student. Come to think of it, that's
pretty consistent with much of BMW's styling today, on four wheels and two.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada