Suspension Dampers

My OEM dampers are only now "breaking in" and my bikes are feeling just as I
like - smooooth.  R is at 77000km and RT is at 57000km.  Oh, and I wear my
tires out on the sides before the middle on both bikes with no handling
problems (or any leaks so far).

BTW in common with any vehicle from Europe the OEM front and rear Showa
dampers are oil under Nitrogen pressure (assisting in preventing foaming).
[Tom said the Ohlin rear was such a design and the front Ohlin was an oil
emulsion design??]

I ask the question: Why would a manufacturer compromise his product for the
proverbial ha'pence worth of tar.  The Showa dampers MAY not have quite the
performance of some better marketed makes but IMO they are very far from
being inferior to any of them.  Unfortunately, Showas are not produced in
gaudy colours nor do they have as many bells and whistles - however I
actually never look at my dampers except when I wipe the bugs off my front
damper and spring while washing the bike.

Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
'96 R850R ~77kkm