Re: oilheads-digest V2 #70

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "George Panichas" <panichag@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:05 PM
Subject: Re: oilheads-digest V2 #70

>The bike had about 29k on the original dampers and always had something of
> heavy and sluggish (at low speeds) feel and a somewhat unstable almost
> skittering feel at high speeds (say over 75mph). Once installed and
> fine-tuned for my height and weight (this was done at the time of
> installation and then re-done after about a thousand miles of back road
> riding),

This is what I've often wondered. Most riders will get new shocks dialed in
for their weight and riding style.
And of course, it will feel much better. Again, I know first hand that a
better shock is a definite improvement and may be worth the upgrade whether
or not the OEM is due for a replacement.

Had you dialed in your OEM shocks ie set the sag first and then the other
possible adjustments so that the OEM shock was working at its best for you?

For example, I've had 3 very different experiences riding a K12RS during BMW
demo days.
The first felt the way I thought it should. The second felt like I was
riding a hard brick, very stiff suspension.
The third (a GT) felt plush and refined. I suspect the suspension settings
were very different on the 3 bikes.

I know that on my 929, I can get very different feel and performance by
adjusting the smallest increments. And this is at 50k+  miles on OEM
suspension front and rear.

Just some thoughts. . .

Bruno
Montreal, Canada