Starter noise

All:

On my '02 R1150R with 37,000 miles (shortly after the warranty expires!), my
starter seems to hesitate in disengaging from the flywheel after the engines
starts.  There are two or three metallic noises as the engine fires.  I am
removing the starter and solenoid from the engine for the first time, and I
hope there are only the two visible bolts and not another bolt hidden between
the starter and the engine.  I plan to bench test the solenoid, which I expect
works, and clean and lubricate surfaces that might cause drag.

Has anyone had the same symptoms and already has the solution?  Thanks.

Fred
Carlisle, PA USA