Re: 2001 1100R power loss

While it is possible that the ignition switch is failing, especially if
that was one of the things you fiddled with, the more likely culprit is
the sidestand safety switch.  This connects to the main harness at a
plug along the frame rail, under the seat on the left side just forward
of the fuse box.  BMW auto part # 61-12-1-459-998 is a jumpered plug to
fit this connector.  You might pick one up and next time it acts up,
install the jumper and see if that fixes the problem.  If so, you can
then decide whether to replace the sidestand switch or if you'd rather
take the chance that you won't forget to put the stand up and leave it
jumpered.  The odd thing is I didn't think the power outlet was
switched, so if that wasn't working, it would be something else, not
sure where to tell you to look other than battery connections.

Davis Eichelberger