Re: mounting head protectors on R1100

On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:27:43 -0600, you wrote:

>I bought a used set of head protectors on ebay for my R1100R and they
>came without hardware or instructions.  They are the BMW plastic type
>that go over the bottom of the valve covers.
>
>It seems obvious and I have gotten the allen bolts I need, but I have
>one question.
>
>The guard mount at 3 points:  one of the bolts that holds the cam
>sprocket cover on, an unused (on my bike) threaded hole below the
>cylinder, and an allen bolt that goes into the head just outside the
>exhaust header.
>
>It is the last one that I'm asking about.  What does it do?  Can I
>unscrew it, mount the head guard, and retighten it without anything
>coming loose inside?  I can't find it on the on-line parts fiche or the
>diagrams in the CD service manual.
>
>TIA
>
>Toby
>--

Toby,

Too bad I didn't get your email earlier.  I just traded in my R1100R
in this morning and I know the instructions for mounting the guards
was in the paperwork I gave to the dealer.

That said, there is no danger in loosening the bolt and installing the
guard.  You will be fine.   The tricky part will be to line the holes
up and get the bolts in.  Be patient.  I will work.  I'd suggest just
starting each bolt with 1 or 2 turns to catch the threads and get all
the bolts engaged before tightning them fully.

HTH

Wayne

Wayne Woodruff
http://www.jtan.com/~wayne