Re: mounting head protectors on R1100

Hello Tony,

Toby Berk <berkt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I bought a used set of head protectors on ebay for my R1100R and they came
>without hardware or instructions.  They are the BMW plastic type that go
>over the bottom of the valve covers.
>
> It seems obvious and I have gotten the allen bolts I need, but I have one
> question.
>
> The guard mount at 3 points:  one of the bolts that holds the cam sprocket
> cover on, an unused (on my bike) threaded hole below the cylinder, and an
> allen bolt that goes into the head just outside the exhaust header.
>
> It is the last one that I'm asking about.  What does it do?  Can I unscrew
> it, mount the head guard, and retighten it without anything coming loose
> inside?  I can't find it on the on-line parts fiche or the diagrams in the
> CD service manual.

Talk to some folks to have actually laid their bike down and made use of
these "protectors". My possibly incorrect understanding is that the metal
head covers got gouged as well as the plastic protectors, so when it came to
restoring the bike to pristine condition, the cost was higher than just
replacing the head covers. I suggest you verify this with a few people who
have actual "dump" experience with jug protectors.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada