No Longer Exactly a Newbie

Cees:

Windscreens:
>I'll shop around - biggest problem is deciding on screen size, given my
6'5"...

Well, I can tell you a couple things.   First, the "BMW Tall" windscreen is
useless.  Don't waste your money.   Second, you will not go wrong with
Aeroflow.   They have the design I like best.   I've tried several from
www.ceebaileys.com  .  They make many sizes and types.   The best type is not
the "Euro" style or "Type II".   That is shaped the same as the stock BMW
screen, just higher and wider.   The style to get is the "Type III" which is
modeled after the Aeroflow.   This type has a sort of flip out along the top
lip of the screen and an opening at the bottom of the screen to let air in
back of the screen "Laminar Flow"  The flip up and the wind coming up the back
of the screen cause a fairly huge rush of air straight up the screen and then
away from the rider at the top.  The result is a very quiet screen with a
still air pocket right where your head is.   You can have the screen 3 or 4
inches below your helmet and still be in still air.   If you put these up too
high, they push you in the back just like the stock screen, but put them up
just a little above where the noise decreases in a major way and you're going
to love the thing.

The CeeBailey's site shows you a front view of your bike with a guy on it
who's 6' 2" tall, I think.   You can go by that.   Because of the
adjustability of the screen, it's not as critical as it would be with most
other bikes.    I'd get one that will be just at or below your line of site
fully extended.  When it's in the correct position, it'll be several inches
lower.

I've ridden at night where there were major bug storms.  If you put a screen
of this design up a little higher, about an inch below your line of site,
it'll stop the bugs from hitting your helmet visor too, not just the wind.
In the normal position, you'll get the odd bug now and then, but it's not a
serious problem.

I didn't hear if you had a factory radio installed in your bike.  If not, get
an extra key blank cut for your bike so you can access the pocket while the
bike is running.  I actually had 6 of these little things cut for my bike when
I bought it.  Good to attach one to a secret location in case you loose your
key on a tour.

There are loads of great uses for that locking compartment on the left.   One
of the best is to keep a bottle of water and a terry rag in it.   You can put
the rag in your lap, then soak a corner of it with the water and clean your
helmet screen while riding....an "advanced technique" for sure, but very handy
for touring on the motorway in light or no traffic.

I really miss that pocket on the 1200 RT....They put it on the right side.
It's buried  far forward on the bike and it's much narrower.   I have to be a
lot more careful getting things in and out of it while riding.  very difficult
to access it without activating the right turn signal.   Doh!

Other than dumping those CO2 cannisters and making yourself a good portable
compressor out of one of those cheap discount store items by removing the case
and putting a BMW plug adapter on, (I put the whole thing in a pouch I got
from an airline travel kit.) I have very few other tricks to tell you about.

Sounds like your dealer is a good one and is going to keep your bike in good
working order.   Since your bike is a European model, it's probably not
plagued with the catalytic converter and on-the-edge lean fuel curves of the
USA bikes of that vintage.   A lot of technical stuff is aimed at getting rid
of side effects from Bosch's cheezy attempts at emission controls.  Feel lucky
that you don't have to deal with any of it.   I agree that, if you've got a
bike that has no surge, it's entirely fine to have the dealer do your tune up
work for you.   They're not nearly as fussy when they're getting enough fuel.
(Long story...Don't worry about it.)

Take care,

- -TB