  From: Steve Makohin
  To: Oilheads List
  Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 12:29 PM
  Subject: Top speed for R1100S

  Hello all,

  For those who are interested, I was able to clock the top speed of my '01
  R1100S last week.

  The only performance "enhancement" is a Vanderlinde exhaust (AKA Really Nice
  Noise Maker), which alleges to add "up to 8 hp", but the Steve Makohin Seat-
  Of-The-Pants Dyno can't detect any additional umph. The Vanderlinde chip
  also alleges to increase peak RPM to 8,400. The test conditions were as
  follows:

   o Apparently level road

   o Extremely light wind, if any at all

   o Allowed bike to run up to maximum RPM in top gear, which was an
     indicated 8,000 RPM (approx.), with no apparent acceleration for
     5 seconds (approx). It is possible a slightly higher speed may be
     attainable, at least in theory, by having a longer run under the
     same conditions.

   o Speed was tracked by, and top speed was locked by a Garmin
     StreetPilot III GPS.

   o Top speed recorded by GPS: 217 kph (134.8 mph)

   o Manufacturer's claimed range of error for velocity: +/- 0.05 meters/sec,
     or +/- 0.18 kph (+/- 0.11 mph). However, the GPS display at that
     speed displays no decimals accuracy, so it is reasonable to assume
     as much as a 0.5 kph difference due to a rounding error (e.g., an actual
     speed of 216.51 kph with +/- 0.18 kph GPS accuracy is displayed as
     217 kph due to rounding on the display).
        Therefore, the actual speed, taking the GPS error into account, is
     within the range of  216.5 to 217.5 kph (134.4 to 135.1 mph), one
     decimal accuracy.

  -Steve Makohin
   '01 R1100S/ABS
   Oakville, Ontario, Canada