Re: ABS

Steve, your response is well written. ABS is great in a straight line. It is not a cure all for loosing traction. For the average rider ( not the top 1%) stopping distances will be shorter with ABS. I am on my 6th motorcycle, first with ABS, and it is really nice, especially in the rain ( I live in the Pacific NW, and can ride most days, as long as I don't mind the rain in the "winter"). I would not count on my ABS working when leaned over very far. The momentary lock up of the front wheel could let it slip out from under you. ABS is a nice safety measure. If you are using it often on the street, you might want to re-evaluate your riding technique.
"Stoppies" are still possible with ABS, and easily done. Just make sure you are going straight. I doubt many non-ABS riders feel comfortable doing "stoppies". I don't recommend them for stopping every time, but it is nice to know how they feel, and that it is not the end of the world when the rear wheel come a foot or more off the ground. Pulling in the clutch and grabbing all the breaks you can, in a straight line, will open your eyes to how fast you can stop, and the chattering of ABS working. The the R1100S, the front and rear break is controlled by the front break lever. No need, in this case, for the break pedal to be pushed. ( Rear breaks are nice for tightening lines in corners, or very slow speed ( less than 5MPH) breaking when turning.)

- -Rene
"02 R1100S w/ABS