Re: Autolite 3923 washer

Mike and Tom,

Since I think my post was the one that started this anti anti-seize
campaign to begin with, I just have to say the reason I started using
anti-seize to begin with was my experience having to Helicoil one head
because someone at a BMW shop over torqued and stripped one of my spark
plugs. (Getting anyone to admit they were accountable for that was
another matter.)  Forever after on my '94 RS, I change my own plugs by
the finger tight + 1/4 turn method and, yes, I have until now applied
some anti-seize.  I do appreciate all the expertise (much greater than
my own) on this list and so will no longer apply anti seize to those
threads.  And given all the responses about Autolites & rust, I will
change my plugs, whatever the brand, more often - at least once a
season.  I used to wait until the bike started running "poorly" before
remembering that new plugs do make a big difference and change them
along with a good valve adjustment and throttle body synch (which I do
probably twice a season).

I usually apply some anti-seize to my brake caliper bolts before
torquing after a front tire change.  Now that seems to be a bad idea
too!  Should I just throw that stuff out (and buy some new caliper bolts)?

John Van Deren
Montpelier, VT
'94 RS 110k miles (still hoping weather cooperates for more rides - snow
on the ground this morning)