More Threads

Edward:

>From: "Edward Begley" <edbegley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>Gosh o mighty.  Been an aircraft mechanic for a zillion years.  Deal almost
exlcusively with piston engines with aluminum cylinder heads.  Both Lycoming
and Continental specify antiseize

It would be reasonable to assume then that the torques specified for the
plugs in Lycoming and Contental engines are given with Anti-Seize in mind.
Correct o mundo?

>and if you don't use it the plugs howl
their displeasure when you remove them.

How often are these changed?   Are the plugs the same as automotive
plugs...with the plating etc?

>Definitely a good idea to use a bit
of antiseize on the threads.  The torgue thing is way overblown on this.

I kind of agree if I'm the only guy working on the bike, but as has been
told here.  The dealer screws them down to the factory torque spec
regardless of whether anti-seize has been used on the heads or not.  The
older airheads, in particular, were pretty touchy weak.  I think maybe less
thread depth than the Oilheads, or perhaps better alloys have been found
since then.

>Really if  you can't screw a sparkplug in......Or if you're a person that
>if
the manual says stand on your head when you do something and then you
actually try to stand on your head then maybe maintenance is best left to
someone else lol.  I thought everyone like that worked for the government

Again, lots of stripped threads out there.  Dealers do it as well as
civilians.   You don't need much certification to be an assistant in a BMW
dealership...and jobs like installing plugs and valve covers are what
assistants get to do.   Part of the reason I do my own work.

- -TB

- -TB