RE: Shrieking Starter

Pascal,
Thanks for the comment - (plunger =  armature?).  My R's starter very
occasionally shrieks and I thought that the dirt obstructed the
dis-engagement of the starter pinion directly.  As you point out the
solenoid and armature also need attention.
Regards
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
'96 R850R ~79k.km