Re: New info on R1200S

Hello John,

From: "John Dancoe" <jdan@xxxxxxxx>

> "Steve Makohin" wateredg@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
>>Perhaps more important, you can switch ABS off for the track or for those
>>bumpy Detroit roads.
>
> Oh yeah! So far I like everything I've seen about the R1200S, except color
> schemes.

I just returned from the Toronto motorcycle show where they had a new R1200S
in black, and I have to tell you, it looks sweet. It had a blackout engine.
The fit and finish is top-notch. No fasteners are visible for the
Tupperware. The seat is flat compared to the current S. The over-all
impression I got was that the bike is narrower than the current model. Dials
are clear and easy to read white analog with black letters. It felt "right",
though it was fixed in a front-wheel-stand which did not give me the
opportunity to feel the apparent weight off the stand.

> But there's much to be said for canary yellow in terms of safety (and it
> would match my wife's Seca 600).
>
> The rationalizations are just piling up.

I love my R1100S dearly, but the new S's big plusses over my bike are much
reduced vibrations (counter-balanced), about 20% more power, and about 7%
(35 lbs) less weight. Make no mistake, BMW has made this machine a sportbike
as opposed to the R1100S which is a sport-tourer. Big fat System cases will
not be available for this machine.

Speaking only for myself, the lack of big factory cases is pretty well the
only reason for me not to replace my current S with the new R1200S.

> But I still don't know what an "electronic immobiliser" is.
>
> Is it a beam weapon that disables the ignition systems of target vehicles?
> That would be waaaaaay cool!

No, it's a security system for when you park your bike. When someone other
than the bearer of the encoded and encrypted key fob gets too close for
comfort, the bike stuns the intruder with an electronic beam weapon. You can
calibrate it for the mass of the intruder so that house pets do not set it
off.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Canada