Re: R1200R Gossip

OTL has also mentioned the coming R1200R.  I'll be looking closely at
it.  I've been lucky enough to have R1150R (very early build), R1150GS
and and now R12GS over the past four years, and I have to say the bike
that I was able to ride most and and enjoy most was the Roadster.  The
other two are very very good but the seat height and top-heavy attitude
(much improved on the 1200 but still of concern) was really a negative
for me. Ironically the Roadster also saw the most challenging off-road
exploration -- I could pick a path through a gnarly rocky washout with a
lot more confidence on it than the taller bikes.   But it wasn't very
happy in sand, for sure, compared to the GS with the 19" front.  I
thought the Roadster was a styling triumph, while the GS's... well.....
form follow function.

The Roadster was traded because of the ABS/power brakes, which failed
twice on me.  Talk about skid marks!  The subsequent owner got caught
badly by this issue, in the pocketbook.

David Makin
Ottawa
R12GS, R50/5, R75/5