Re: HES

conrad long wrote:

> - --
> William (Bill) Moss
>
> Bill,
>
>     I recently did the same thing with my '94 RS, though I used the
> orange Permatex hi-temp goo. My wires were also good @ 64K miles. I've
> put about 4K miles on the repair since, with no problems. It is a
> minor PITA to fill the sheath and then wrap it, but I felt it was
> worth it. I filed the sheath as much for water proofing as insulation.
> My only reservation is that the Permatex might actually help transfer
> heat from the plate to the wiring, but I have teflon wire now, so am
> ready. Good luck.
>
> Conrad Long
> '94 R1100RSA
> Fraser, CO USA

I looked at the Permatex site and the Ultra Black had the best
temperature and electrical properties.

I'm leaving the original wire since its looks fine and I have tested it
extensively. I even generated the diode switching curves on my
oscilloscope to see how the switching looked and did so at room
temperature, at 140C and under water. All tested fine, with a rise and
decay time of approx. 0.4 microseconds.

Soldering in a new harness is a PITA and is something I'll do over the
winter. I'm going to look for a used (I don't care if its dead) unit and
put two new Honeywell HALL switches on it, along with TFE insulated wire
in a fiberglass RF heat shielded jacket. If the used unit has good
switches, then I may get lazy and buy a pre-made harness for ~$25.

- --
William (Bill) Moss
billmoss@xxxxxxx
  Those who will not reason,
  are bigots,
  those who cannot,
  are fools,
  and those who dare not,
  are slaves.
by Lord Byron
  God grants liberty only to those who love it,
  and are always ready to guard and defend it.
by Daniel Webster