Re: bad gas mileage

Hello Poster Known As "rchitwoo",

From: "rchitwoo" <rchitwoo@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> I, started riding my 1996 r1100rt 4 months ago. I have noticed it gets
> about
> 34.8 mpg this seems really bad.  The bike seems to run just fine but the
> mileage is poor.  I only have 26K on it and no history of prior
> maintenance
> other than I changed the plugs at 23k.

That figure seems low. Things to consider that could contribute to low fuel
economy are:

1. "No history of prior maintenance"
   1996 is a decade ago. 26,000 miles is quite a distance to cover
   and not have any work done other than changed plugs. I strongly
   urge you to get this bike to a qualified and skilled technician to
   perform possibly long overdue maintenance. Also consider
   having a thorough inspection conducted to detect past errors
   and omissions. For example, you may discover sticking brake
   pads.

2. State of engine tune:
   Point #1 will likely take care of this one. If your engine is out of
   tune, fuel economy may suffer.

3. Properly inflated tires:
   This is one of the easiest things to do to get getter fuel economy.

4. Riding Style:
   Ride like a granny, get better fuel economy.

Hope this helps.

- -Steve Makohin
 '01 R1100S/ABS
 Oakville, Ontario, Internet