Re: Chain Tensioners etc.

Hey Tom -

Thanks for your detailed thinking on my clunk.
I bet the start-up noise is the chain tensioner too... makes sense.
The puzzle is the running noise: it's the same sound as the chain tensioner noise on start-up. It does seem to correlate with thinner oil, but I'm pretty sure it's not valves. It's not the sam sound valves make, and besides I can hear my valves and they make what I think is a normal racket, not clunking.

Comments about rod bearing failure not being a known problem with my R1100 mill are reassuring! I'll keep monitoring, replace the chain tensioner when I can, and see if my clunk changes.

Best,
Allen