Easier fueling

Bike in question is a '94 R1100RS

Before I launch into taking things apart, I thought I would ask a couple of
questions and get some opinions.

As I suppose all of our fuel tanks are so equipped, my tank has a recessed
filler tube. Once fuel gets to the bottom of the filler tube, I can continue to
dribble fuel into the tank for quite a while, but I don't normally do that
unless I'm going to head out for a ride immediately in case that extra space is
'reserved' for fuel expansion.

Is all of that dribbling included in the stated fuel capacity of ~6.2
gallons? Without the dribbling, what should I expect to have as a total capacity?

Is there any issue with taking the filler tube out and either grinding some
of the bottom off or drilling some holes around the edge for additional venting
to speed up refueling?

Thanks,
Geoffrey Greene
Tennessee USA